Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, February 20, 2009

Logan is a fighter, and he makes mommy stronger

So glad there's Wi-Fi at the hospital so that I can update my blog and have something to do while watching Logan. Ahh..the magic of the Silicon Valley, can't get that at San Francisco Kaiser, at least not inside the ICU.

Logan is doing well and is improving everyday. He started feeding and I have written some tips down for the nurses in feeding him. Logan is a spoiled little lobster and requires a lot of patience when eating. The doctor has decided to reduce his airflow and oxygen level. Hopefully, he can get back down to his original baseline, eat more and continue to grow stronger. Sometimes he still desats down to the high 80s, but he will come back up by himself. I have heard considerably less coughing from him today. It seems like his acid reflux has improved as well. He continues to have breathing treatment and deep suction of the secretions. Oh, how much he hated those suction! At least the one suction session that I witnessed today, he didn't really desat and I was there to comfort him and hold his tiny little hand. Overall, he's doing well.

After consulting with the neurologist, the doctor talked to be about a procedure called EMG. Basically, you use electric shock to shock Logan's muscles and nerves, to see if they are responding accordingly, as he is hypotonic. This is usually done when the patient is sedated, but because of Logan's apnea, it's not safe to sedate him. That means he has to go through the pain. I got a chance to talk to the person in charge of administering the procedure. He evaluated Logan and thought his neck is not too floppy. We could wait it out and see if he would grow stronger. Thank goodness he said that. I don't want to put him through more pain.

Looking back, I definitely think I have grown stronger as a mother. Remembering when Aidan was born, I couldn't bear witnessing his first set of immunization shots. I had to have Hank go inside with him and I waited for that to be all over with. When Logan was first at the NICU, I couldn't bear seeing them draw blood or put in the IV. Now, I have no problem witnessing all that. I am glad that I have gotten tougher, because I want to be there to hold his hand and tell him everything would be ok, when he is going through all that.

************************************************************************************

As for Aidan, we finalized the paperwork for him to start preschool on March 2. He would be in the Jellyfish classroom and I am hoping the transition would be easy. He has never had problems going to daycare, or different babysitters. Separation anxiety was never a big problem, only a few incidents after Logan was born and he didn't want to go to daycare. Depending on how long Logan would be staying at the hospital, I might be able to take Aidan to the new preschool for an hour or so, a day or two next week, to help with the transition. Last time we brought him to check out another preschool, he didn't like it after he went inside because he saw the kids waking up from their naps. He does not want to nap at all! Hopefully, this time, he would be having fun and not be too clingy to me. I hate to let him start school without me being there to support him, just because his little brother needs my constant attention at the moment. Maybe everything really happens for a reason. Logan's hospitalization gives me the opportunity to focus on Aidan a little more during this transition and big milestone in his life.

No comments: