Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Aidan's 6th Birthday Party

Dear Logan,

I am so sorry that I haven't been writing lately.  I just can't shed that lazy bug and sit down to write.  But I will make it one of my new year's resolutions to write to you more frequently.

Today, Aidan had his 6th Birthday Party at AMF Bowling Lanes in Santa Clara.  We invited all of his friends at school and I was very surprised that most of them attended.  I believe it's either Aidan was popular in school (he does know the names of many kids in other grades as well), or a bowling party really sounded like fun.  I bet many parents are bored of Pump it Up like me, but if their kids wanted to have a party there, what could you do.  Luckily, when I asked Aidan if he wanted to have a bowling party, Pump It Up or pizza making party, he made a wise choice.



We had about 25 kids today and over 35 parents.  It was a huge crowd.  At times, it was a little chaotic.  I should have planned things a little better, but then, it was my first bowling party as well.  We had 5 lanes, ranging from 4-5 kids per lane.  One of my hiccups was to start lunch a little too late.  Since the kids could continue bowling after pizza, I should have started lunch at 12:45 p.m., instead of 1:15 p.m.  I saw some kids and parents hungry enough to buy popcorn (or the kids saw the popcorn and wanted to get some).  Another hiccup was an injury that happened to Makoto.  He missed a step, tripped and fell down.  He got a nasty-looking cut under his chin.  He was fine ultimately, but the poor boy was crying and was looking so miserable.  In the end, he continued playing and had a lot of fun.  Another hiccup was Aidan's tantrum.  He got upset when another kid bowled for him, while he was still eating pizza.  It actually took a some sweet-talking, threatening and bribing for him to calm down.  He wasn't acting very nice.  Aside from being upset that someone took his turn, he was upset that his score was low because his friend only scored a 3.  He wanted to have the highest score.  He still has a difficult time accepting losses.  We need to work on that.



On the bright side, I surprised Aidan with an Angry Birds cake.  I knew he wanted one, but I couldn't find a store that sold it.  Safeway was unwilling to make a special one, but only the ones listed in their book.  I was definitely not talented enough to make one.  So, this is what I did.  Aidan went with me to Safeway and picked out a Hot Wheels Cars chocolate cake with strawberries filling.  Secretly, I have ordered an Angry Birds Game online, and used the toys there as decorations.  He thought he was getting cars as decorations, but in the end, he was pleasantly surprised to see Angry Birds.  And you know what was the most interesting thing?  All the kids were excited to see the cake!  A few saw me decorating it, but ALL of them knew about Angry Birds.  It's amazing how popular this game is among children.  Not even all parents knew about this game.



In the end, everyone had fun, despite a few hiccups and chaotic moments.  All parents were very nice and helpful.  I was running around, while Hank was taking pictures.  We tried to play host/hostess, but were unable to assist the kids, especially it's a first time bowling experience for most of them.  I am very relieved and grateful that most parents stepped in and assisted, and tried to make this party as smooth as possible.

Aidan received many GREAT presents.  I was very surprised at how generous the parents were.  I guess having a party after the Christmas holidays has its perks...deals for great toys!



I am glad the party is over, and now we can look forward to other celebrations.  Tomorrow is Grandma's birthday, and we'll be having lunch up in S. SF.  Monday is your brother's actual birthday, and I'll be bringing some cupcakes to his class and have a small little celebration.  We'll then go out for dinner, as it's Daddy and Mommy's 5th wedding anniversary as well.  This is one busy weekend!

I wish you could be here to celebrate with us.  But I know you're up in heaven watching all of these events.

Love you,
Mommy

No comments: