Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 18, 2009

Trial week is over

Grandparents came back from their little trip to Calgary yesterday. This week is supposed to be a trial week to see how we can take care of Aidan and Logan without their assistance. It didn't go as smooth as we would like, because both Hank and I got sick at the same time (as always). I got the flu and it hit me pretty hard on Wednesday. I had to tell Hank to work from home because I couldn't function in the morning, with a killer headache, runny nose, sore throat and feeling hot and cold, since the night before. Luckily, after sleeping for 4 hours and resting a little more, I felt a lot better. Still having a runny nose and cough at the moment, but definitely a big improvement.

During these past few days, we were very careful with our hand-washing and mask-wearing because we cannot get Logan sick. His airway is already tiny and taking in enough oxygen is already a challenge. If he gets sick with a runny nose and a cough, this could really be life threatening. Thank god he didn't seem to have caught anything.

Logan's acid reflux was a little better since my previous entry. At least there hasn't been any projectile vomiting yet (knock on wood). The pediatrician changed one of his medications. He is taking Reglan + Prilosec instead of Reglan + Zantac. Prilosec is supposed to turn off the acid pumps to the stomach. Let's hope the medication works because we could really see him suffer from the acid reflux. Sometimes I wonder if Logan also has colic as well. Logan also seems to have settled in a schedule of his own. He tends to wake up in the middle of the night between 2-4 a.m., then sleep through the morning and early afternoon, and then wakeup from late afternoon to around 10-11 p.m. He is definitely a night owl. This is not the best schedule for us, but at least it's a little more predictable. In a way, he sleeps through the night (as in sleeping 5-6 hrs), it just that his night is actually our day. Because he's feeding on the demand right now, it's good in a way that we have more free time and don't have to be as rigid with the schedule. However, I also worry about his weight gain since he's eating less. We'll have to wait till his check-up next week to see if he's gaining weight steadily.

Aidan, on the other hand, seems to continue enjoying being a big brother. When I change Logan's diaper, he would help me get the diaper and wipes. He would open up the diaper for me, get two wipes out (one for me and one for him) and he would wipe Logan as well. He actually wraps the diaper and throws that into the Diaper Champ for me without me asking. Wow! When he hears Logan cries, he would try to pat him on his chest to calm him down. Yesterday, I was calming Logan and I asked if he could bring the carseat from the living room to the bedroom. He knew which one I was talking about and dragged that all the way to the room. I immediately praised him and called him a good big brother and a good helper. However, we've also seen another side of him where he is acting like a baby. At daycare, we're told that when the other younger kids were drinking from a bottle, he would open his mouth and want some. He wants to be held a little more, and is a little reluctant to let me leave after I drop him off at daycare.

So far things are going well. Three more weeks until grandparents have to leave. Hopefully, by then Logan would be stronger and healthier.

No comments: