Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Yard Sale

Hello Sweetheart,

Mommy is so tired! It was a long day today organizing and hosting a yard sale. First of all, it was stressful to get everything ready yesterday, and I didn't sleep well at all. Then bright and early, Mommy had to go out and get stuff set up at 8 a.m. Guess what, thunderstorms in the Bay Area! We haven't had thunderstorms in a long time and they had to pick today to strike!

Luckily, there was no rain, and I only heard the sounds of thunder. My sale was supposed to start at 9 a.m., but Mommy waited till about 9 a.m. to start putting stuff out. The weather has gotten better throughout the day, though still quite foggy and overcast. Uncle Yance joined Mommy and brought all of this stuff to sell. It's great that we're doing it as a tag team, as he got stuff that interest our male customers, and I got stuff that interest the other mommies and female customers. He also kept me company as Daddy had to work again. Big brother spent the day at Grandma's house.

Because it's a city-wide event, I saw on Craigslist that there were many other households hosting gargage sales as well. I am not sure if the competition is thinning out our profit margin, or actually bringing more people out to drive around looking for deals. Either way, it wasn't a bad day. I made $87! It also helped that I posted an ad on Craigslist yesterday and today, announcing the sale of baby items. I know baby items are popular. I know at least one mom read my ad and came.


Beginning of the sale

Most of my stuff were your brother's and your clothes and toys, picture frames, baby items, and my old purses that I have forgotten. I got rid of maybe 1 out of 4 boxes of clothes, selling them really cheap: $0.25 for each piece of clothing. That's a steal, as some were never even worn! If only I sold them all for $1, I would have quadruple my profits! But it's all good. The main goal was not to make money, but to get rid of them. I was gonna donate them anyway, might as well try to sell them. I still have a lot of stuff left, and will probably do another sale before we move. By then, if I don't sell all the items, I would probably donate them all to Goodwill or Salvation Army.


What's left of the sale

Now that the sale is over, my house is a mess! I need to re-sort all the clothes, maybe get more stuff out ready and put them aside for the next sale.

Overall, it wasn't a bad day. Now I just need to lie down and rest my feet.


Love you,
Mommy

2 comments:

Egg Mum said...

Dan dan doesn't play with his bead maze and water pistol anymore? So soon??

I bought a similar bead maze for EggEgg, it was on the shelf for ages until this week when EggEgg "rediscovered" the joy of it...

The kids outgrow their toys so quickly!

kc said...

The stuff you donate to SA or GoodWill are tax deductable. The return of doing that might worth a lot more than selling them for 25 cents a piece. Plus you don't need to stand there all day, it only takes one trip. Unless you really enjoy the process, haha.