Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, December 21, 2009

Welcome to Heaven, Monica!

Dear Logan,

Mommy received sad news today from work that my co-worker's sister, Monica, passed away last Saturday. Monica is the sister of Auntie Shelley, who I work with somewhat closely the past several years. Monica has Down Syndrome, and cancer took over her, and caused her a lot of pain. She spent the last days of her life in a hospice, but surrounded by her beloved family. I actually don't know Monica very well. I believe I probably only met her once or twice when she came to visit The Arc, and came to our client holiday parties. Even though she's not a client of The Arc, many of our clients know her, and were saddened by the news.

I remember talking to Auntie Shelley last Wednesday during the client holiday party that she's not sure when Monica would leave. My other co-worker, Auntie Kerry, and I were suggesting Auntie Shelley to take last Thursday and Friday off, not worry about work, but to spend more time with Monica. Auntie Shelley planned to work last week and possibly this week, but would spend time with Monica in the evening. We suggested her to just take the days off, and spend the time with Monica, plus her other sisters who were coming from out-of-town. I'm glad she really did take time off. Everyone at work was super supportive of each other, esp. during times like this. I know first hand what a great agency I am working for. I also told Auntie Shelley that even though one could be mentally prepared for what may come, when the time really comes, the pain is still there. I might not know exactly how Auntie Shelley feels, but I could guess. I believe she's relieved that Monica won't be suffering anymore. But on the other hand, she will miss her dearly.

So Logan, if you see Monica in heaven, keep her company and welcome her with open arms. Pray that her family stay strong during this difficult time, but know that love and support are just a phone call/e-mail/text message away.


Miss you,
Mommy

No comments: