Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, January 24, 2010

C. School Open House


*taken from school website


Dear Logan,

Mommy has started touring new schools for your brother. We've already been to 3 open houses now and I wanted to write down my impression of the schools before I forget them. Even though Aidan won't be going to kindergarten until the school year 2011-2012, I want to know which school I like, so that I can transfer him to the Pre-K class first. Most of the time if you attend the Pre-K, the transition to the KG class in the same school is easier, gets priority, and don't have to go through extra testing.

We visited C. School on Jan 14 in the evening after work. Since it was already dark, I didn't really get a chance to take a look at the whole school. We visited the Pre-K room and the KG room briefly. The Pre-K room was pretty big. It had pictures and drawings done by students all over the place. Everything was nicely put away. Cubbies for students, log book for signing in and out, bathrooms inside the classrooms, and toys out for the kids (which your brother and a few other kids were playing). The only thing that I couldn't visibly see were books, which I was surprised, esp. since C. School is a very academically-focused school. These are the notes I wrote down for the 4 yr-old class:

1:12 ratio (which I think is kinda high for4 yr olds)
PT teachers in the beginning of the year
nap or quiet time required by licensing
3x/day outside play
summer school prep aka KG-prep -- give up nap / bathroom in the hallway (not in the classroom)
Open 7-6 p.m., year-round
visor cards - name of child and room - present when pick-up
sticker on child (which I think is weird and somewhat unnecessary)
progress reports - 4x/yr
snacks a.m. - crackers/juice
snacks p.m. - crackers/juice/fruits
paper newsletter - no e-mail communication
teacher interns assist students who have difficulties catching up
3 KG classes - 90 spots
96 spots for both Full-time and part-time 4 yr old pre-K
no testing from Pre-K class to KG class
bring own lunch for pre-K (no microwave)


I'm not sure where I put the notes for the KG class. I remember the Headmaster (who is very much like a salesman) emphasized that this school is very academically based. This is not a bad thing, but just not too well-rounded. They don't have any separate art or music class. They are all integrated with the academic portion of the curriculum. We saw the KG students wrote something about Martin Luther King Jr. and drew a picture of him. The picture drawn, was the art portion and how it's integrated. I didn't think that's enough, though Aidan didn't seem to be a very artistic person, but still! I did see a piano and a very nice Mac stereo system in both the Pre-K and KG rooms. When asked about teacher turnover, the headmaster said the turnover is very low, esp. compared to the new campuses. When asked about teacher credential, he said not all have, but they have their own training. He added that he didn't think teaching credential is that important. Now, I have to disagree here. Teaching credentials might not be the most important thing, but it's good to know that your teacher actually knows how to teach, and understands different methods/techniques of teaching. There are a lot of smart people out there, but not all knows how to teach and share the knowledge.

Students have to wear school uniform, which I like. I've worn school uniform from KG to high school, and it's just so much easier not needing to think about what to wear. Plus, kids don't have to compare clothes or name brands.

I believe this is the most expensive private school that we're checking out. I think Daddy really likes this school because it's very academically based. This is not my ideal school because I didn't think it's well-rounded enough.

And since we went to the evening open house, only the Director and Headmaster were giving out tours. I'd like to speak with the teachers or parents more than these higher-ups. By the time we finished with the two rooms, it was already 7 p.m. (closing time), so we didn't get a chance to really check out the facilities. They did encourage us to come back during the day when classes are in session, to really get a feel of it.

I think that's all I can think of to write down about this school. Many more open houses to go to! Wish me luck.


Love you,
Mommy

No comments: