Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Friday, April 30, 2010

March for Babies

Dear Logan,

Sorry I didn't get to write to you earlier. It's been a busy week and I finally got to sit down in front of my computer and concentrate on writing to you. Last Saturday's walk was wonderful. There was a great turnout and it appeared that there were many more walkers this year than last year.

Team The Arc of San Francisco was able to raise about $4000! How amazing is that! More than half of that amount was raised by my clients. I was so proud of them to be so actively soliciting donations from their friends, family and coworkers. About $700 was raised by our Adobo Chicken Lunch Sale and the Coffee and Bagel Sale. An about $1000 was raised by Mommy. I am grateful that friends continue to support my effort to raise money. Even though you're not born a preemie, I still felt a close connection to all the little babies we saw at the NICU, and especially when this walk happens each year so close to your anniversary.



The night before the walk, we stayed at Grandma's house so that we didn't have to drive up to SF early in the morning. I couldn't sleep that night. My brain was too busy thinking about the walk and I was too anxious. Even though I didn't have coffee all day on Saturday, adrenaline was pumping and I was full of energy. But by the end of the day, my coffee headache came and I needed my 'drug'.



We arrived at Fort Mason at around 8:30 a.m. and I frantically tried to locate a table or a tent for our team. I then found out that only companies with big sponsors got one of the white tents. I then located a spot right next to the stage and waited for my clients and staff to arrive. People slowly arrived in groups by bus. The walk started at around 9:20 a.m. Uncle Yance and his friends joined us again this year and we all did the whole 6.25 miles. I was happy to see that some clients and staff made it all the way as well. Everyone seemed to be very excited and it didn't hurt that the weather was beautiful. Your brother walked about 2 miles with Grandma, and then sat in the stroller on his way back. I was glad I borrowed back the stroller I gave away for your brother. I wouldn't want to carry him back. I was so tired.



After the walk, we headed back to Grandma's house for a long afternoon nap. Had dinner with her and then drove back home. If we drove home right after, your brother would just sleep uncomfortably in the car and then wake up when we got home. That means none of us would be able to recuperate. The following days, I was so sore. Mommy is really out of shape.



It was a great event and I am glad we got to do this again. It's too soon to think about next year. A lot can happen in a year.

Were you watching us while we walked? We're doing it in memory of you.


Love you,
Mommy

No comments: