Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, December 15, 2008

A Date With Logan = A sleepless Night

I spent the night at the hospital with Logan last night, recommended by the nurses at the nursery. They think that it's a good idea to get a taste of what it would be like when he goes on. They also think that by not doing it the night before he gets discharged would give me some energy to actually function on the day of his discharge. Another reason to stay for the night was to test out the apnea monitor that was delivered to the hospital. And boy, am I glad that I tested it out.

The night started out with moving Logan from the main nursery floor to the parent room, so we could actually stay in the same room. I then tried to hook up the apnea monitor. No problems with plugging in the wires here and there. But when it came to actually wrapping the belt around Logan's chest, it wasn't that easy. It seemed like the velcro wasn't working very well and because I was worried that the monitor wasn't working properly, Logan continued to have the leads to the monitor of the hospital. At first, the apnea monitor seemed to be able to detect his heart beat and breathing, and I could see both indicator lights blinking. But then, the horrible high pitch screeching sound started. After I silenced it, it kept on screeching again. I was worried for Logan's ears sake and also worried about disturbing other babies outside in the nursery. I had to take the speaker portion of it to minimize the noise. I kept pressing the silencing button but it didn't work. I couldn't take it anymore and just turn the whole thing off. Hopefully, we would have better luck tomorrow on the day of the discharge and other nurses and Respiratory therapists would be able t help.

So basically, last night I spent all night changing diapers (Logan had two explosions and peed on me), feeding him medication, feeding him with the bottle and the feeding tube, pumping and lastly, trying to sneak in a nap or two. The feeding took the longest as I really wanted Logan to try to take the bottle instead of relying on the feeding tube. But after trying to feed him his 80ml in an hour, I had to resort to using the tube. Since Logan is on a feeding-every-3-hours schedule, it didn't leave me much time to sleep. I think I might have napped for two 30-minute sessions in between two feedings and pumping.

I then realized that I shouldn't have forced Logan to nipple so much milk. He should only go for 30 mins, and if he couldn't finish his bottle, use the tube. The nurse told me if I had waited for an hour, it's like Logan was running a marathon. He would have used up too much energy to eat and thus, might result in weight loss. He did lose 35g the previous day and that is a concern. His weight is currently at 10% and he should be taking between 60-120ml as a term baby.

I also spent the day learning how to put the feeding tube into his nose, which wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be. Also spent the morning getting information on his medication, contacting the discharge nurse to assist with the apnea monitor, the oxygen delivery, getting supplies.. etc.. etc..

Actually, Hank and I just got back from the hospital again to bring the carseat to the hospital for the carseat test. The test is mainly done on preemies but since Logan has neck and breathing issues, they want to make sure he is able to breathe while being in a carseat. His vitals were being monitored while he's in the carseat for an hour. He passed the test with flying colors, we did need to put a neck roll to supprt his neck. The neck support that I bought on Amazon has not arrived yet. Grrr....

At home, we also set-up everything for his homecoming tomorrow. We moved Aidan's crib to our room and gated Aidan's previous room since there's a big oxygen tank in there now and knowing Aidan, he would be messing with it. For now, Aidan seemed to be happy that he got to sleep in our room and our bed. He's been coming into our room every night anyways, so hopefully this arrangement would satisfy both kids.

So, tomorrow is the day! This whole experience has both been frustrating and worrisome. Now we're moving into another scary phase with no doctors and nurses around (except a visiting Home Health Care nurse). This is going to be a big transition for everyone.

No comments: