Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, August 3, 2009

I killed the fishies...

Hi Logan,

Mommy felt so bad. I killed the fishies. Yesterday at the Santa Clara County Fair, your brother won a fish by throwing ping-pong balls into little jars. He actually won at his 2nd of 5 throws. We then bought another fish that came with a container, since the first fish only came in a ziploc bag. I didn't want to carry the ziploc bag the whole time.



So we got the fishies home, and got nothing to feed them. This morning, I went out to get some fish food and fed them. I was thinking, maybe it's a good idea to start your brother in feeding the fishies twice a day, as his little responsibility. But after I got home from work, I saw the container turned really dirty, and I could barely see the fishies. I wasn't sure if it's because I put too much fish food in there, or it's their poop. I changed the water and that's what the problem was. After half an hour, both fishies died! Was it the tap water? Was it the fish food? Was it because they couldn't live in clean water? I don't know! I didn't have a chance to read up on how to care for fishies! I was so sad. I was worried your brother would see them when he came home, so I immediately hid them in the bathroom.


They are still alive in this picture

When Daddy and Aidan came home, I told Daddy that I killed the f-i-s-h, worried that your brother would ask about them. Luckily, out of sight is out of mind for him. He didn't ask about the fish at all. Daddy took care of the fishies by flushing them down the toilet. We're not really sure if that's the way to go. If it's not, we're sorry about it. Thankfully, your brother is more into playing the Wii and watching Lightning McQueen, than to ask me about his fish. Actually, he didn't care for the fish that much. He was more interested in throwing the ping pong balls.

Next time before we bring any pet home, such as, fish, birds, rabbits, I should really read about how to take care of them first. I didn't want to kill another animal again.

Oh honey, take care of those little fishies for me. Tell them I am sorry.


Love you,
Mommy

1 comment:

Craftyk said...

My parents used to own a pet store, and we saw a lot of dead fish from county fairs. They are almost always in bad water/jostled/not fed properly by the carnies. They are "feeder fish", the kind you buy to feed to bigger fish or turtles, about 10 cents each. The carnies don't really have a big investment in keeping the fish alive- and they know you will need to buy a bowl from them too :). So it is most likely not your fault- those fish would have died anyways. Just FYI for next time, there are drops you should buy to take the chlorine out of the tap water. If you want to buy another one for Aidan, Betta (sp?) fish are pretty hardy. they don't mind little bowls either. Just make sure you only buy one- they will fight! Anyways, I'm pretty sure winning a fish at the carnival and having it die is a parental right of passage.