Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 9, 2009

Aidan and his new preschool

Let's talk about Aidan for a minute while I am waiting for the doctors to come in for the rounds.

Today is Aidan's second week of his new preschool. First week was tough as he's not used to being in such a scheduled setting. He was running around, was difficult to get him to sit still during circle time or group activities. He's just so curious about everything and too excited. Of the 5 days he was there last week, he only napped one day. He was so tired after school that on his way back home, he slept through the whole trip, and even slept till 11:30 p.m. a couple nights. Poor guy, it's normally hard to get him to nap, now in a new environment, it's even tougher. Hopefully, this week will be a little easier.

Last Friday, the teacher asked if Aidan has been evaluated for Autism because he has such an obsession with doors and washing his hands. I told her that he hasn't and he is very interested in doors. But probably not washing hands, but just to be able to play with water. I don't think I can handle a child in the hospital, and another one with Autism. I think I will go crazy. However, even though I haven't worked with kids with Autism, with my experience working with adults with Autism and in the spectrum, I don't think Aidan is autistic. He is very touchy-feely, very sociable, has great eye contacts, definitely not monotone and is a very happy child. Aside from the obsession with doors, but then he's not just standing there and play with one door, he would go around and play with all the doors available. He's not obsessed with washing hands because at home, I have to drag him to wash his hands sometimes. He does like to play with water (provided it's not in his head or eyes). So, my unofficial, unprofessional diagnosis is, he's not autistic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aiden does not have autism from my opinion, do not let the someone who has not knowledge but just heard about the term of autism to scare you

CC