Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

I wish I can say things have gotten better...

Like the title said, I wish I can announce that Logan is better now. At first, it did seem like it because the nurses told me he was fine last night at the hospital. And I thought, great, he behaved in the hospital but was mean to mommy at home. But then, within less than 30 mins that I got there, he had an episode with him stiffening and not breathing. During my stay at the hospital, I witnessed three different episodes. Before I left, the plan of attack was to do an EEG for him at 8 a.m. tomorrow morning, have him check for any seizure activity or abnormality. He is also to be seen by the GI doctor and neurologist, to do a GI x-ray after drinking some dye. He might even be put on anti-seizure medication. If those don't work, we might put a pH probe in this stomach to track the acid reflux, as it might also cause the episodes as well. That was the plan before I left.

But then at 7:30 p.m., I got a call from the doctor and he told me the number of episodes has increased. One he needed to be bag (using a bag to help with him a few breaths), one he just needed stimulation, and one he recovered by himself. The doctor will give him anti-seizure medication now and if it works, we should see results within 1-4 hours (let's pray that helps). He will also have a high-flow oxygen instead of the regular cannula that he's been using. If all this doesn't work, then he might need a ventilator to help him breathe while we figure out what's going on.

I suspected these episodes might have happened more often than we know. His oxygen saturation usually doesn't dip down first (a delay) but his respiration rate shows that he's breathing very shallowly. I told the nurses my observations today, and maybe they are more aware of his respiration rate and discover more of the episodes tonight. Or maybe tonight is like what happened yesterday at the ER where one comes after another.

Now that I think about it, he might be having seizures all along. Sometimes he would have this daze when he's looking at something even though I am talking to him. Maybe he was having a seizure then. I always thought he was just more interested in looking at something else than me, therefore, I never really mentioned that to the doctors.

Having a seizure disorder is not the best thing, but at least it's an answer and it could be treated (for the most part). Another part of me hopes that it's the acid reflux, because it's a little less severe than a seizure. But what if, it's none of the above and we're back to square one?

We thought about getting a second opinion aside from Kaiser, but we don't know how to go about doing that. We can't change the insurance policy until enrollment time (which has already passed). I wonder how much it is to pay out of our pocket to do that. At least Logan would be seen by another Kaiser neurologist while he's at the hospital. I hope he will have some answers for us.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hello, hello.. Hope that Logan improves rapidly and that they are able to figure out what is causing all of this really soon. In regards to changing insurance, if you are unable to go back to work, you might be able to change health providers then due to a change in employment status. Hope that its not necessary, but you might want to check with Yahoo's HR team.