Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, March 14, 2009



Will be going to the hospital this afternoon. For now, enjoy a little video clip of Logan yesterday.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day 12 - Hospital Stay
Day 7 - Intubated

So I got some updates from the Chief about how Logan is doing. Logan was put on Cpap earlier from around 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. They wanted to see how he breathes on his own without the support of the ventilator. He was breathing ok but the results from his blood gas showed that his oxygen level was not up to par. They did another blood gas after I arrived at around 3 p.m., to compare the results and it was still about the same. After that, he was put back on the ventilator so that he could rest a little. Logan was getting really agitated because he's not sedated, and he could feel the tube down his throat. He was moving and gagging, but couldn't get another dose of drugs until 4:30 p.m. They gave him some Tylenol, but it didn't seem to help much.

The Chief also discussed with me about options for ventilator. She proposed Logan getting a tracheostomy because it seems like Logan would be needing some help, and he can't be on the ventilator forever. I knew this discussion will come sooner or later, and I am actually prepared for this. She also suggested him getting a g-tube in this stomach to help with feeding, because he is such a slow sucker. We've been actually helping him with this by squeezing his bottle, but then he would gag. I need to think about this. It might be easier for us but if I can avoid one surgery, and just do a little more work to feed him, I'll do that. I know both tracheostomy and g-tube are pretty common and minor surgeries, but still, I need to do some research about it, and talk to my cousin to get more info. For now, they will have Logan exercise his lungs a little more the next few days, before we decide if a tracheostomy is appropriate.

The nurses are giving him morphine to sedate him a little. They need to re-tape his tube as he's been moving around quite a bit.

Uncle John and Auntie Katie visited Logan just now. Logan's first visitors and they brought him a Get Well balloon. Thanks!! If you want to visit, it's ok, but please let me know ahead of time and make sure you are not sick. As you can see from the pictures that I have posted, Logan is not in his cutest condition now. I don't want to depress you. I know you all love and care about this little guy. We really appreciate all of your generous offers in every way.

1 comment:

GRASSHOPPER said...

Logan is lovely, he opens his wide eyes looking around, kicking his little toe. Please give a big hug for me. I will read your update this afternoon. Love, Peggy-Seattle