Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 30, 2009

Logan seems to be slowly deteriorating

Day 28 - Hospital Stay
Day 23 - Intubated

I know I haven't blogged in the last few days. The conversations that I had with the Chief had been tough and we needed time to think. We also needed some time to talk to the other doctors, get more facts, before we can make any decision. It's just not easy coming to the hospital everyday to see Logan lying there, semi-conscious, and not being able to move.

All of us at home are sick. Aidan, Hank and myself. Logan has been having an on-and-off low grade fever the last few days. I hope I didn't get him sick by coming to the hospital. I have to wear a mask when I am here, just to be save.

Logan is basically here waiting for the blood tests results. In the meantime, we're thinking of options. He hasn't been as awake the last few days, and his desaturations occur more often, even when he's not even moving or coughing. I am here for less than an hour, and he already desats twice. He's on the ventilator still, at a rate of 16, yet he still desats to the high 80s out of nowhere. When Hank was here on Saturday, he said Logan was coughing and gagging, and actually desaturated down to 4!!! I think he's tired. He's tired to breathe on his own.

I am still waiting for rounds, and then I am going to request a conversation with the doctor, to get her opinion of the options being presented to me by the Chief. I know the Chief said she has consulted with the other doctors before approaching me, but I still want to be able to talk to each of them personally and get their thoughts. I am hoping one of them can give me some hope.

3 comments:

GRASSHOPPER said...

Virginia, Please don't give up hope yet! Perhaps Logan needs full ventilor support at this time. May be he can't be pushed to work on his own quite yet.I have had those "Meeting" with doctors regarding Jonas' options before. I know how dreadful it was. How unwilling I was to hear the aweful news. At the end; those are suggestions, opinions. It's not an order. It's difficult to deal with and can't be easily to ignore. God wants to test your strenght and your faith. Please step up to the plate. You are doing a good job being a mom for Logan and Aidan. YOu're in our thought always. We will continue to pray for all of you specially Logan. Please DO NOT GIVE UP HOPE ! Miracles do happen... Cousin Peggy

Uncle John said...

Hang in there, Hank and Virgina!

I'd speak with the other doctors to get their second, third, fourth opinions rather than using the Chief as a filter. Also, see there is a way to share Logan's condition within social networks shared by doctors. I'm sure one exists somewhere where you can be anonymous and leverage the brain of medical professionals across the world help with diagnosis.


All of our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Uncle John and Auntie Katie

Susan Suomi said...

I agree! Miracles do happen!!!! Logan has a strong and loving family behind him! Be strong, Virginia! Hang on to the love that your family has for each other and just take things a day at a time. Kiss your baby. Play with Aidan. Hold your husband's hand. And take a deep breath! Lot's of people care about you and your family, Virginia. Hang in there.
Susan