Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Monday, March 23, 2009

I got to hold Logan! It's been 16 days!


Logan awake and moving around; thus making the ventilator beeped.

Day 21 - Hospital Stay
Day 16 - Intubated

9:30 a.m. - Arrived at the hospital. Nurse said nothing much has changed since yesterday. Logan was sleeping soundly. Waiting for rounds and will give him a sponge bath afterwards. Learned from the nurse that he's getting Ativan every 8 hours and Versed (aka Midozolam) in between. I remember him getting Versed before when he was fully sedated. The nurse said Versed doesn't last very long. They are still suctioning stomach juices out through the ng tube periodically.

10:30 a.m. - Rounds here. Director of PICU is back. Logan weighs 6.6 Kg now, down a little more. They did an X-ray on his stomach, waiting for PICU Director to read it to see if the colon is still dilated. Resident and Director both examined his tummy and it was soft, and they heard some "hypoactive bowel sound". I assumed it meant stool is passing down. Logan doesn't have diarrhea anymore, but has a little stool. I reiterated what I was told over the weekend, since the Resident and the Director were not here. They are also giving him Raniditine (acid reflux meds he took before). I asked why he's getting that since he doesn't have acid reflux. Resident said it's to protect his GI system while he's not getting feeds. Director asked if Logan had his VCUG and we responded no, because we're told that he's intubated and should wait. Director said there shouldn't be any problem and will do another e-consult to see if Logan can get it done. Blood gas showed that Logan is hyperventilating. Usually, he's hypoventilating, so they turned down the ventilator setting a little bit, from rate of 20 to 18. Director asked aside from caffeine, if any other drugs have been used to stimulate his breathing. They might want to try Doxapram, which is a central respiratory stimulant but an old drug that they used to use. Pharmacy is looking into that. Now I am waiting for them to tell me what's going on with his colon. Hopefully, it's back to normal, if not it can be a sign of Mitochondrial disease. We're also still waiting results of the blood tests for Mitochondrial Disease and Lysosomal Storage Disease.


11:10 a.m. - Nurse and Respiratory Therapist are re-taping this tube. It's getting loose, especially, Logan is moving around.


1) During re-taping, 2) After re-taping

12:00 p.m. - Doctor said his colon was better, not normal, but better. As long as it's not getting worse, it's good. Now he can eat again. The nurse just changed his ng tube to be a better feeding tube than the previous one that they use to suck out the juice from his tummy. Logan is still awake and moving around. I let his arm out for a while and stand right next to him to prevent him from grabbing anything. But his temperature is a little low, so I have to restrain his arm again and put it back inside the blankie, to keep him warm.




1:45 p.m. - I JUST HELD LOGAN!!! It's been 16 days since I last held him. The nurse asked the Director if it's ok if I hold him for a little while, and the Director was fine with it. We coordinated the time for him to have his sedation medication so that he's calm and not wiggle around. It was only for a couple minutes, and the nurses got to change the sheets of his bed. They asked if I wanted to hold him longer, but I declined. A few minutes would be sufficient. I was a little nervous to hold him longer in case something happened. It's all good. I am happy and satisfied. :) Now he's back to sleep.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, it's hard to imagine little Logan and your family in the hospital but this makes it all that much more real. I am sorry that you are all having to go through this. It's good your emptying your head into the blog though. I pray for you every weekend in church V. I hope you are taking care of yourself.