Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Aidan is the healthiest of the bunch

Day 29 - Hospital Stay
Day 24 - Intubated

Hank and I are both pretty sick. Hank still has to work, unfortunately, and he's primary on call this week as well. As for me, I feel pretty crappy that I didn't go to the hospital today to see Logan. I am so worried that we have already gotten him sick twice while he's in the hospital. I did speak with the doctor and the nurse.

Logan is still about the same. He had one incident last night that he had to be bagged. It usually happened when they tried to suction his tube and change his diapers. He gets mad. When I was there, I tried to lower his bed so that it's not elevated and the tube won't be pressing against him while they change his diapers. I don't think the nurses were doing that, that's why he gagged every time. I really need to pass that along to the nurses, whether they will do it or not, I don't know. I asked if he has desaturated during the day when he wasn't mad, and it seems like he didn't have any unknown desaturation today. The doctor said the amino acid result came back normal. One other test, I forgot the name of it, is to test the enzyme of the mitochondria, and that came back in the low-normal range. The doctor said she would have to check in with the Geneticist to see if it's a concern. She said that without that enzyme, it could cause muscle and heart failure.

I also talked to this doctor yesterday to get her opinion. She generally agreed with the Chief, especially if it's a mitochondrial disease. Because it's the brain stem cells that are dead, and the nerves are not transmitting signals, these brain stem cells can't be regrown. If they are dead, they are dead. And this is what impaired his visual and auditory functions, and his breathing. His lungs are fine, but the brain is not getting the signal. She suggested me to wait till all the blood test results come back before making the decision whether to get the tracheostomy. I agree with that. I am in no hurry to make any decision, as long as Logan is comfortable and not in any pain.

Depending on how I feel, I might not be able to go to the hospital tomorrow. I am still feeling pretty crappy. Every time Aidan gets sick, the whole family gets sick. I've already religiously washed my hands, and taking Centrum everyday, still couldn't escape that. What if Logan comes home and he gets whatever Aidan is getting. His little body cannot handle all that germs.

Aidan is doing better in preschool. He had nightmares the other night, kept on saying a kid hit him in the bathroom. He mentioned that before, but I didn't realize it would cause him nightmare. This is also the kid that he pushed at school before (among other kids). I told the teacher about it and she said she would keep an eye on them. She said it's possible that this kid might have caused some trouble, but definitely not too many times because she would have caught it. I've seen this kid in school, and he's the active, naughty type as well. So I am pretty sure something happened between Aidan and him. Kids at this age are just impatient, especially boys. This teacher, which I really like, is also getting transferred to another classroom due to staff shortages. That really sucks. She's so nice and always gives us updates on how Aidan is doing. The Head teacher in his class is on vacation for two weeks. That means Aidan will have two brand new teachers in the class for a while. I believe he will adjust, I just hope the teachers will be as nice and as tolerant as this other teacher.

I forgot to mention. Thank you Auntie Stacy for visiting Logan on Sunday. It's nice to have someone to talk to who is not a nurse or a doctor, and to talk about something non-medical. It's nice to gossip sometimes. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you still trying to see if you can get Logan transferred to Stanford and 2nd opinion?
***Sending LOTS of positive thoughts to Logan and you***

Love,
Bev