Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Logan has pneumonia :-(

Day 30 - Hospital Stay
Day 25 - Intubated

Talked to the doctor on the phone to get updates on Logan since I didn't go to the hospital today. She said Logan has pneumonia. It's probably due to him being on the ventilator for so long. The cultures showed something was growing, after 3 days. That probably explains his recent fever, and his unknown desaturations. On top of that, his central line has been in for 2 weeks now, and it might be infected or contaminated. They were trying to find another IV because Logan needs it for the antibiotics. The doctor said they have the best nurses there to find a spot, but if they couldn't find one, they need to do another central like by his chest, neck, or leg. I am hoping they don't need another central line, as it's more risky than just an IV needle. But if they can't find it, they have to do it. I gave my verbal OK to the doctor to go ahead and do the central line. Like last time, I really had no choice. He needs to get his antibiotics and for IV fluid if needed. If all goes well, the central line will make it easier to draw blood, as they can just get it from the line, and Logan does not need to be poked every single time. His poor, little heels are just healed from all the needles. But if something goes bad, he could risk having a punctured lung, which could further impair his breathing. As long as I don't get a call tonight, I assume everything is fine in that area.

My co-workers at The Arc helped me contact a parent of a client, so that I could call her to get some advice. If I am not mistaken, this client has visual, speech and hearing impairments. I would like to talk to this parent about life taking care of a special needs child/adult. I might give her a call tomorrow, once my voice sounds better. I will also contact this agency called Parents Helping Parents, and see if they can refer me to a parent who has gone through a similar situation, and has to make tough decisions.

Thank you everyone for your support and concern. We're doing fine at the moment. We're grateful for all the prayers, food, and donations to March for Babies. Thank you for reading this blog everyday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Virgin, my boss used Parents Helping Parents before. The experiences she had was great, the organization offers help/support/advises to parents who are in need. She told me to get help from them when I had depression and trying to deal with my spirited baby!
Take care!
Leonor

GRASSHOPPER said...

Virginia,Glad to hear that you connect with other parents and seek the parenting opinion. You need to hear from all sources besides Logan's physicians. I want to point out the fact for my son Jonas, the turning point actually took place after he got the tracheostomy and return home. I cannot even explain the phenomenon only to know that he likes to be home and around us. I'm not advocating you should have tracheostomy done on Logan at this time but having the trach tube put in the mouth for 30 days is a lengthy time to keep the mouth open. If you think about it, normally, we keep the inside of our mouth moist by closing our lips. With the tube in his oral cavity 24/7, that's another potential for bacteria entry. With a trach in place, it's a close system, it is much "cleaner". If I would have know this back then when Jonas was a premee, I would have asked for a tracheostomy for Jonas sooner. This is after the fact; of course. I merely want to point out my insight. On the other hand, I know how you feel as a mom not wanting to have traumatic procedure done on your child. Please take care of yourself. Logan is in good hands at the hospital. Thank you for keeping us update. We will continue to pray for your family particularly Logan, Love from Cousin Peggy