Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, April 9, 2009

Balancing Sodium

Day 39 - Hospital Stay
Day 34 - Intubated

Logan was baptized yesterday. Unfortunately, Hank got held up at work and by the time he arrived, he missed it by a few minutes. So, it was just me and the priest. I am hoping a miracle will come, or God will give me a sign and tell me what's best for my baby.

Logan's face looked a little more swollen today than yesterday. I immediately asked the nurse what his sodium level is, and it was down a little to 131. His vitals are stable, and his oxygen level remains at 100%, unless he coughs or gets upset. He only had 3 stools yesterday, probably because he's not on antibiotics anymore. Intensivist decided to supplement him with sodium, give him some diuretics and watch his urine output. She wants to make sure the sodium level doesn't go too low because it will cause swelling in the brain. We definitely do not want his brain to go any worse than it is. We also talked about his Ativan level. It's been decreased to 0.2ml. Logan looks too comfortable even with such a low dosage. I don't think the tube bothers him much anymore, or he's not feeling it at all. He probably doesn't need the sedation medication. However, the neurologist commented that the Ativan also keeps the seizure at bay. With the results of the EEG and the MRI, he's concerned that if we don't give him or further decrease his amount, he might seize. Even though he doesn't need the sedation medicine to sedate him, I told them to keep it, just in case he seizes. We don't want any seizures. We should at least keep it until our big family meeting this afternoon. I also asked how we can tell if the vitamins that he's getting are doing their job. Neurologist said it's hard to say. We can't tell if the vitamins are slowing the deteriorating or not, and we can't tell if his cells are actually absorbing the vitamins. They will just continue to give him the recommended dose.

I probably won't blog much for the rest of the day. Logan will probably be stable for a while. I might blog about the results of the family meeting tomorrow.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

V, I read your blog. I am glad you have a lot of love ones and Hank to support you. I am also glad to read you are seeking help, admitting you need help is ok. Don't rule out counseling either if you ever think you want it. I am praying for you, wish I knew of a way to do more. Love-Shelley

GRASSHOPPER said...

Virginia,I'm glad to hear Logan was baptized yesterday. You did the right thing. Cousin Peggy

Anonymous said...

We're still prarying for you and your family, as well as my church. Many brothers and sisters asked me how Logan's doing, he's on their heart, so don't give up~
Love, Julie ^O^