Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, April 26, 2009

Blood Test and Baby

Hi Sweetheart,

How are you today? Mommy didn't do much. It's a relaxing Sunday, after such a work out yesterday. Mommy's legs were sore yesterday evening after walking so much. Actually, it's more of my shoes scrapping my ankles, instead of the actual walking. Mommy, Daddy and Big Brother Aidan only went to Costco today for some shopping. Your big brother had a whole big slice of pizza for lunch! He really loves pizzas. He also took a passport picture for his China visa, which Mommy needs to complete the application tomorrow and bring everything to the travel agency. Mommy is being lazy. I'd rather pay an extra $20 than to wait in line with 100000000 other people at the Chinese Consulate.

Mommy is going to get her blood test done tomorrow at the Genetics department. Because of your Leigh's disease, Mommy wants to be sure whether I am a carrier of the DNA as well, or you're just one of the rare ones with the DNA mutation. Since Leigh's disease is a Mitochondrial Disease, and it's genetic and only spread from mothers to children, Mommy needs to be sure whether your big brother carry the DNA as well. The Geneticist mentioned that it's very likely Mommy and your big brother have the same DNA, but not all the mitochondrial DNA have that problem, thus, we're able to function normally. Unfortunately, you had the more severe case and nothing could be done to help you. It might take a while for the blood test result to come back, and I won't know the result until I return from my trip.

One of Mommy's friends, and also Ah Gung and Ah Po asked if Mommy wanted to have another baby. I flat out told them NO. Mommy mentioned to Ah Po whether anyone in Macau or China would like your unsued clothes. If not, then Mommy plans to donate them all. Then Ah Gung and Ah Po asked why not save the clothes for the next baby. Mommy told them, I will not have another baby until I know about the result of the blood test. Mommy tried to explain to them what Leigh's disease is about, and that if Mommy is tested positive, your Auntie might need to get tested, too, as she might also pass that to her future children. I am not sure how she can get tested in Macau, as this is a very specialized genetics test, and I think only a few labs in the world actually perform the test.

Even if Mommy were to have another baby, I don't think I can bear seeing the new baby wearing clothes that should have been belonged to you. Seeing them will just remind me more and more of how you couldn't wear any of these clothes. In the next few weeks, Mommy will slowly start to sort through all of your stuff. Some I will keep and put in a shadow box. Others, I will try to sell or donate them. Your room still remains untouched at the moment. I have all of your medical information, which I don't know what to do with them now. I think I will have to organize them and probably keep them in a box. You will have a special box or chest, where Mommy keeps all of your things. I might not look at them often, but you will always be with us, to the new house, and wherever we go.

Mommy's going to come see you tomorrow after the blood test, ok? I'll talk to you then.


Love you,
Mommy

No comments: