Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Saturday, May 30, 2009

Food Food and more Good Food!

Dear Logan,


It's really hard to lose weight in Macau when there's so much good food. I bet you and Daddy are so jealous of me, after you know and see what I had for lunch and dinner today. It's all at home, home-cooked meal by our great relatives. It's a lot of work, but it was a nice family gathering. First, let me show you what we had for lunch. All of us, 5 different families, decided to put money together to buy a whole fresh salmon and have some salmon sashimi. Ah Gung thought about doing that before but it was way too expensive, and too much food for one family to consume. So, while everyone came down to visit Ah Po, we got them all to share the cost and food (esp. when we got some good cooks in the family), to have a big family gathering. Mind you, it was a lot of work (well, I actually didn't do much), but they agreed it was fun to do once in a while.


First off, we have the famous salmon. Granduncle #5 and Grandaunt #4 were de-boning and slicing the salmon. We ended having 6 plates of salmon like that. I think we ate 4 plates for lunch, and 2 plates for dinner.



Then we have eels cooked in two different ways. One is stir fried with bitter melon. The other is iced cooked eel. I tried both, not really a big fan of it. The meat is not as tender as unagi. It's an interesting experience.

A Chinese meal is not completed without a chicken. We barely ate the chicken, and most of it was saved for dinner. We actually didn't eat much chicken for dinner either, because there's more delicious food coming up!

One more eel dish. This is eel cooked with rice. I think they cooked it for Ah Po, but unfortunately, she was unable to eat it. She said one of the patients said it's too early to eat eel because it has no scales and it's "poisonous" (not literally, but translated from Chinese to mean it's unhealthy).

Our last dish for lunch, Lobster! Yum Yum Yum!

Your big brother didn't really eat any of these, except maybe a few pieces of chicken. There's actually some spaghetti and I know he would much prefer eating that than seafood. Besides, I think he's a little too young for such exciting food.

As for dinner, we continued to finish the rest of the salmon sashimi and the chicken. But there's more good food to come!

Can you guess what are those dishes? The one in the middle is the left overs from the salmon sashimi. Granduncle #5 had to go back to Guangzhou with your Auntie, so they took the fish head. The leftover was cooked and I heard it was pretty delicious. I didn't try, as I went for the sashimi instead.


We have the chicken from earlier, vegetables, and some chicken wings. We also had some bittermelon with pork. Plus, the beers that you see in the picture for the guys.


And we got two big plates of lamb chops. They're a little over-cooked for my taste, probably because it's Chinese style, but they're still very delicious.



Next up, we have these little fishies. I am not sure the English term for it, but in direct Chinese translation, they are called "Many eggs Fish". Yummy and no need to worry about bones.



Last but not the least, oysters! We got two big plates of these babies. Nice and tender, not salty enough (but probably good for my blood pressure). I heard the soup was very tasty as well, just super high in cholesterol.

After these two meals, I think I need to be on a vegetarian diet or run around the playground with your big brother for an hour to burn all that calories. We don't usually have such big meals, but it's a special occasion. This usually only happens when I come back for a visit and go to Guangzhou, then your great grandma and other relatives will cook a lot for us. Doing this in Macau is rare.

Don't worry, Ah Po is doing well and we're also able to deliver some salmon sashimi for her. She didn't like the hospital food and Ah Gung has been bringing food and soup (cooked by Grandaunt #7) to her everyday. I saw Ah Po today, she looked a lot better. Not as tired or pale anymore. I think she can probably be discharged on Monday or Tuesday.


Lastly, a picture of your Great Grandma with Mommy and all of your Aunties and Uncles.

It's been a busy trip so far. I wish you and Daddy could join us.

Time for me to get some sleep. I'll talk to you tomorrow.


Love you,
Mommy


No comments: