Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 31, 2009

Sleep Battles

Dear Logan,

It's been really difficult in putting your brother to sleep. When he was young, he was such a good sleepy baby. I would lay him down in his crib, and he would go to sleep by himself. Even when we converted his crib into a toddler bed, he had no problem falling asleep and wouldn't climb out. But when he turned 2.5, and when I was pregnant with you, he suddenly wouldn't sleep on his own. I am not sure if he finally discovered that he could get out of his bed, or he had too much fun that he didn't want to sleep, or he knew something is going to change because of your arrival. Up until now, getting him to sleep has been difficult.

Because of all of your equipment back then, we had to move your brother's bed to our room. Thus, he ended up sleeping in our room and our bed ever since you came home from the hospital in December. He would not go to sleep on his own anymore. I had to sleep with him, wait till he's asleep and then get out, or most of the time, I just fell asleep with him. If I moved him back to his bed, he would climb back into ours in the middle of the night.

Naps have been especially difficult lately. He didn't nap yesterday and he didn't nap today. I tried for 1.5 hrs yesterday to get him to nap, and I had to give up. Today, I tried for 2.5 hours and he just wouldn't sleep. I have sweet-talked, threatened, even hit him, to try to get him to sleep, but he just played around and moved around in bed. I think the bed is too big for him, as it gives him a lot of room to twist and turn. I tried putting him to time out so that he would cry and get tired. Didn't work, wasn't tired enough to fall asleep. I got so frustrated with him at one point, I started crying. Your brother saw me, and immediately I saw his guilty look. He knew I was upset because of him. I apologized to him for hitting him, but I also explained to him why I was upset. He hugged and kissed me, laid down in his bed and was quiet for a while. But that didn't last long, he became his usual active self again. Because he didn't sleep, I punished him by not letting Auntie Angela and Grandauntie take him out to play. He probably didn't know what he has missed out. I think it's more of a punishment to Auntie Angela, coz she really wanted to take him out and could only do that on the weekends when she doesn't have to go to school.

Mommy and big brother also went out to dinner tonight. We met up with some of Mommy's friends. Except one Uncle, most uncles and aunties brought their little ones out as well. We had a 2-month old baby girl, an 18-month old toddler, a 2.5 year old girl, and your big brother. So, Aidan was the oldest of all. It was nice to see the kids interacted at the end of the dinner when we're hanging out outside of the restaurant. They were all just running around, while the parents cautiously making sure none of them run out to the street or do something dangerous. Of course, your big brother was running and jumping around, and was the only one that fell down a few times and scraped his knees. Because we saw the kids had such a wonderful time, we decided to have a playdate this coming Sunday.

One of my friends mentioned that he thought I was pregnant not too long ago, but seeing Aidan, it was quite some time. Apparently, some of them didn't know about you. I didn't quite know how to approach that subject. I casually said I was actually pregnant not too long ago, but I stopped at that. Not that I mind talking about you, I just don't know how and where to begin. I didn't want you to be a taboo subject. I want you to be remembered, and to have people know of your existence. Your existence should not be ignored and forgotten, because it was such a difficult experience. I guess I should be more prepared next time. For some reason, I thought everyone knew about you. You know how news can spread like wildfire sometimes, esp. news like this.

Don't worry, Mommy is fine. I think when I cried today because of your big brother, it was a combination of frustration and stress that were built up. I guess I need my friends to know that I AM doing fine, and it's ok to talk about you, or even to ask to see your pictures. I have your pictures with me all the time.

Mommy will always love you, even though sometimes memories bring back tears. Your big brother remembers you as well, because he sees your picture everyday. Everytime he hears a baby cries, he mentions "Baby Logan".


Love you,
Mommy

2 comments:

Egg Mum said...

If Aidan doesn't want to nap, let it be. I was in the same situation as you, last year, when I tried to follow the "recommended routines" & "recommended amount of kids sleep" and all those which drove me crazy in the end. EggEgg is does not like to nap at all! He can go on and on all day, without a nap, by the time he's just 1yo!!

So after months of frustration, I've decided to live by my own guideline: "If he's in a good mood, (ie. not whinny, not clumsy, not frustrated) then he's allow to be up for as long as he likes." And both of us are happy since then.

Nowadays, EggEgg only naps in the afternoon as a "social thing". If he sees me & Cola napping, then he joins in, just for the fun of it.

So, don't push Aidan. If he's happy, let him stay up for the afternoon. Think about it: what are naps for?

Cheers, Evelyn

Olimama said...

I have hard time with my son napping as well. My maid could do it all the times, but at weekends when we're home, esp. baba is home, he won't go to sleep. So many times, we just decided to take him out and he'd then sleep in the car.

At night sleeping is also a hard time for me. He'd sleep with me only and be so energetic when seeing or just hearing baba from outside the room. I always need to sing to him or ignore him playing in bed. Most of the times I fall asleep before he does..hee....

Yes, it's fun watching our kids running around after dinner that night. My boy seldom have chances to interact with other kids, and I think he enjoyed it very much.

Don't force yourself to talk about Logan if you don't wish to. We'd understand about that. Take more rest la, hopefully our kids will meet up this Sunday if the weather is good.

Loves, Oli