Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

What a relief!

Hello Logan,

Mommy is relieved!! I am not sure if I can take this emotionally if things don't turn out right. Like I mentioned early this morning, we have your brother's evaluation at the ASD clinic today. The evaluation was supposed to last 3-4 hours, but luckily for us, it only took 2 hours. We went in and met with two psychologists. One took Aidan to another room to play, aka. evaluation, and the other stayed with Daddy and Mommy, and asked us some questions. We had already previously completed a super-duper long questionnaire for them, so they already had some basic information, and also knew about you.

We told them our main concern: obsession with doors/buttons/elevators/escalators, difficult transition from these obsessions, short attention span, and maybe his socialization skills. After our little chat, we waited in the waiting room for your brother to finish up with the evaluation. He got to take a little break while the doctors consulted with each other. Then we all went into another playroom. Mommy and Daddy got to see how your big brother interacted with the doctor. The other doctor was observing through a one-sided mirror in another room. We saw the doctor asked your brother questions, let him play different toys, and most importantly, pretend-play. There were a few times when he insisted on playing with toys that he liked, such as, toys with sounds and music, and the bubbles. He also spotted the doctor opening the door of the cabinet and then open and close the door (not continuously) but would put toys in the cabinet after playing with the doctor (even though the toys do not belong there). I think most surprising to us was his ability to do pretend-play very well. They were having a birthday party for a baby doll, and you know your brother LOVES birthday parties, esp. blowing out candles. We never did any pretend play with him, but I know he does that at school. So, it was nice to see him participate and actually did a very good job. I have also noticed that his language skills have improved, and he was definitely more vocal than the last time when he saw the other psychologist.

After playing, we were led back to the waiting room. When we met up with the doctors, the first thing that they said was they didn't think your brother has Autism. Alleluia!!!! That's what I've been waiting to hear! I asked about his obsession with doors, open and closing and him not sitting still. They think it's very likely his personality, or he's just a 3.5-year old boy. He will probably grow out of it. If he doesn't by school age, that is, 5 years old, then it might become a concern. They also said that his receptive language is his strongest, rated at 46 months (when he's only 41 months old). His expressive language is the weakest, rated at 42 months, still not bad. I am not surprised at this result because like I've been saying recently, I could reason with your brother and he understands. And I am always a little concerned that he doesn't talk enough, but I did notice improvement. I was telling the doctors that when it was Aidan's 2-year old check-up, I had minor concerns that he didn't seem to be speaking enough words. The pediatrician at the time said she could refer him for speech therapy if I like, but I wanted to wait and see. I noticed a difference when he turned 3, esp. when he started going to school, and when he was in Macau. He was stimulated a lot more. The doctors said they will be writing a report and will send us a copy. It's up to us if we want to share that with the school.

Tomorrow, I'll be bringing your brother to school. I will probably give them a brief update, and might give them a copy of the report. I need to read the report first and think about it. But I can proudly say that my son is totally fine! I knew he is fine all along. And they tried to scare the crap out of me! I don't blame them though. Autism is such a big deal here, and as teachers, they do need to look out for signs. However, as teachers, they also need to come up with ways to teach kids. Everyone learns differently.

Oh Logan, Mommy is so relieved! After all that has happened recently, I am not sure if I can take any more bad news. Thanks for watching over your big brother. I know you'll be his guardian angel.


Love you,
Mommy

1 comment:

Egg Mum said...

Hip hip hurray!! I knew Dan Dan's not autistic!! I knew it!!

As for the expressive language delay, my EggEgg has the same issue at his 2yo check up.

*In early March, the community nurse was concerned that he only speaks 5 words for at 24 months and referred me to a speech therapist.

*In late March, EggEgg started pre-school and just "started" talking away!

*In April, out of frustruatioin with others (aka grandparents) nagging at me constantly that I'm not teaching EggEgg how to talk, I finally took him to a speech therapist.

*Today, EggEgg can say about 80 words, and what an explosion of words in merely 2 months!

I do not think the speech therapy play any part at all, coz we were there only to play with toys for 30 min every fortnight, what good does it do? In my heart, I knew EggEgg started talking because he went to school, and saw the other kids speaking, and caved in under the peer pressure.

Please don't worry too much about DanDan's expressive language, I think he will pick it up after school just like my Egg. Our Eggs are just fine little boys, too interested in other areas of development.

Cheers, Evelyn