Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Thursday, June 25, 2009

Your Beautiful Memory Quilt

Oh my Dear Logan,

A most wonderful gift arrived yesterday! Remember some time ago, Mommy told you I didn't know what to do with all of your clothes and Auntie Shelley offered to make a quilt out of it?




Guess what, the quilt has arrived!! It is so beautiful!! When Mommy read the letter from Auntie Shelley enclosed, I couldn't help but shed tears. It reminded Mommy of you, your short life, the little sleepers that you lived in them because you're a Winter baby, and most importantly, I was moved by such a wonderful and thoughtful gift. Mommy was holding the quilt, cried for a while, before I could fully appreciate its beauty. I had to re-read the letter and appreciate each of its detail. Let me show you the pictures of it, and the meaning behind each detail that Auntie Shelley told me.



"The quilt design is a pattern called 'One thousand pyramids' (even though there may or may not actually 1000 triangles in the quilt). The name reminded me of the origami custom of folding 1000 cranes to have one's heart's desire come true. Although the custom is Japanese, I thought the sentiment to be universal and therefore appropriate. All of the triangles were made from Logan's sleepers and I am sure you will recognize them."




Here are two pictures of the close-up of the quilt, showing each of the pyramids/triangles. Such detailed work. Logan, a lot of hard work is put into this. There are so many triangles!




"There wasn't enough solid color sleepers to make the borders, so I used blocks of soft fleece. To symbolize his ascent into Heaven, I machine embroidered an angel to watch over him at the top..."




"...a companion angel on one side..."




"...and himself as a little boy angel on the other side."




"The quilting design (the stitching that holds the top and backing together) are puffy clouds. I deliberately chose a very fine thread so the quilting wouldn't distract from the sleeper fabric. but you can see the cloud design when you look at the back! I was particularly pleased with the way the sleeper fabric contributed to the three dimensional aspect of the clouds. The swag designs in the borders were chosen just because they are pretty ;-)"




"I found an incredibly moving poem for the label on the back and hand-appliqued Logan's picture and the label. I further embellished the label with hand embroidery."


Oh Logan, I don't know what to say. It is such a beauty! We are blessed with such good friends, who have done so much for us. First, their outpouring love through phone calls, emails, text messages, hugs, kisses, and reading this blog. Then their generous donation to March for Baby and The United Mitochondrial Foundation. And now, two precious gifts, a rosary and a memory quilt. What have we done to deserve such great friends!

Mommy was talking to Daddy last night about how we wanted to display this lovely quilt. We wanted to hang it up, especially after we move. However, we're not sure how to do it. If we just hang it up, it'll be get dusty. If we frame it with glass, it will become very heavy to hang. We need to think of a way to do it. I was telling Daddy that displaying this quilt would not be as sad as putting your pictures all over the house. It's beautiful, yet we won't be seeing your face all the time, thus being reminded of your absence. Don't worry, we will not forget you, but I don't think being constantly reminded is healthy either, right?

We'll think of something!


Miss you,
Mommy

4 comments:

Kerry Laws said...

How beautiful! that was so nice of your friend. I have framed really large things before. I use Plexiglas instead of glass. That way it is much lighter. You just have to be careful dusting the Plexiglas, because it scratches very easily. so you only dust with a soft towel and no cleaner.

JCS in SATX said...

what beautiful work from Shelley! I hope it gives you comfort.

Anonymous said...

It is really beautiful and so thoughtful of your friend to put in so much time and effort. You are blessed with good friends because you are a great person yourself. Take care, my friend! - Madoka

Egg Mum said...

This is the most beautiful quilt I have ever seen. There is so much love and thought with every stitch.

I agree with the Plexiglas idea. Or, you can hang it up with 2 wooden sticks, hanging it like a scroll. And when it get dusty, put it to wash every 6 months or so. (It's a quilt after all.)

I hope I get a chance to visit you & see it in real someday.

Cheers, Evelyn